Computer Repair and PC Support across the UK

As Featured in the Guardian

Free Computer Support Forum

Hardware Related Issues

Topic:

i plugged the battery charger in,worked fine for a while,then i smelt something.the jack plug has ov

Posted by: meryl w.      3 Jan 2010 @ 15:22
i plugged the battery charger in,worked fine for a while,then i smelt something.the jack plug has ov

i plugged the battery charger in,worked fine for a while,then i smelt something.the jack plug has overheated and melted inside the socket.the battery had ran almost down,but today it came on for a few seconds,so the laptop is still working.i used a freinds charger and it didnt power up,there is a smell coming from the jack plug socket

Reply by: Alan D. PCIQ IT ProfessionalIT Professional in Oakham, LE15      3 Jan 2010 @ 17:00
RE: i plugged the battery charger in,worked fine for a while,then i smelt something.the jack plug has ov

It sounds as if there may be a short inside the case. The socket itself does not normally smell, it is more likely to be a burned out component in that area.

I would recommend that you backup any important data, and then get someone to have a look at it. If it is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer or shop, if not, try a local PCIQ repairer, but be warned, if a component has burned out, it will not be a cheap repair.

20 of 38 people found the above post helpful
Was this post helpful?  I thought this post was helpful  I thought this post was not helpful
Report this post

Do you need computer support?